NEEDHAM, MA and FREMONT, CA – December 14, 2017 The Industrial Internet Consortium® (IIC™), the world’s leading organization transforming business and society by accelerating the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), and the MulteFire Alliance, an international association dedicated to building a global ecosystem in support of Long Term Evolution (LTE) and next generation mobile cellular technology, announced they have agreed to a liaison to work together to advance their shared interests. Under the agreement, the IIC and the MulteFire Alliance will work together to promote the digital economy by harmonizing various aspects in the fields of the industrial Internet.
Joint activities between the IIC and the MulteFire Alliance will include:
- Identifying and sharing IIoT best practices;
- Realizing interoperability by harmonizing architecture and other elements;
- Collaborating on standardization;
- Collaborating on testbeds and research and development projects;
- Exchanging technology requirements and use cases;
- Exchanging documents and information solely for discussion purposes;
- Collaborating in the area of cellular technologies in unlicensed and shared spectrum;
- Conducting other activities as determined and mutually agreed by the parties in writing.
“Extending cellular-based technology into industrial applications will help accelerate Industrial IoT adoption,” said Wael William Diab, Chair of IIC Liaison Working Group and Senior Director at Huawei. “This collaboration expands opportunities for IIC members with industry players focused on cellular technology.”
“Operating standalone in unlicensed spectrum, MulteFire technology can be deployed as a private LTE network to deliver local and customized services for industrial IoT applications with high performance, low latency and seamless mobility,” said Mazen Chmaytelli, President, MulteFire Alliance and Sr. Director Business Development, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “This liaison provides a new avenue for the Alliance to demonstrate how MulteFire enables new use cases in industrial segments and to inform IIC audiences about LTE technology and its benefits.”
The IIC Liaison Working Group is the gateway for formal relationships with standards and open-source organizations, consortia, alliances, certification and testing bodies and government entities/agencies..